Our Candidate Attorneys
Our candidate attorneys matter to us.
At Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr, we believe in partnering with our candidate attorneys.
The significance of articles of clerkship as the foundation on which a candidate is able to build his/her career should not be underestimated. Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr offers an environment which values training, skills development, mentorship, career development and professional support to its candidate attorneys and lawyers.
We appoint a substantial number of candidate attorneys on an annual basis at our offices in Johannesburg and Cape Town.
Many of our candidate attorneys have spent time with us as vacation students during the annual Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr summer and winter vacation programmes for law students. These programmes take place during the university holidays in January and July of each year and form part of our graduate recruitment initiatives.
Our candidate attorneys selected Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr as their employer of choice.
Training and skills development
We invest considerable time and resources in ensuring that our candidate attorneys receive adequate exposure, training and guidance during the course of their articles of clerkship.
We firmly believe that candidate attorneys will achieve the best level of experience and learning through exposure to different practice areas. For this reason, our candidate attorneys rotate through different practice areas every six months. Our intention is to provide candidate attorneys with an opportunity to explore where their niche lies and gain wide ranging practical experience that will stand them in good stead wherever they may ultimately practice.
The right partnership
We want our candidate attorneys to succeed as lawyers and strive to offer an environment where they are given every opportunity and the means to reach their full potential through, for example:
- an accredited in-house candidate attorney training programme in preparation for the attorneys' admission exams;
- additional, well-structured in-house training and skills development programmes;
- real experience working with world-class companies on quality matters and transactions;
- opportunities to work and train in diverse teams of like-minded lawyers;
- access to the most up-to-date legal information resources, systems, documents, precedents and global best practices available;
- access to a wealth of expertise, experience and knowledge from across the globe;
- regular performance evaluations; and
- opportunities to forge meaningful relationships with our local community through voluntary and pro bono work.